National Curry Week
Our favourite time of the year is back; it’s National Curry week which is just another excuse for a delicious, homemade curry. What better way to celebrate than with one of our all-time favourite classics: butter chicken. Originated from a small sweet shop in Peshawar, this warm and hearty meal combines a balance of creamy and subtle tangy flavours, making it a favourite worldwide. Create your own with our recipe below. Find all the herbs and spices used below on our site here.
Butter Chicken Recipe
Feed 4 people | prep: 40 mins | cook: 30 mins
- 2 pounds boneless chicken (breast or thigh), cut into bite sized chunks
- 1 cup Greek yoghurt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp ground garam masala
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ cup onion, chopped finely
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground garam masala
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 8 ounces tomato sauce/puree
- 1 cup of half-and-half – ½ cup of milk ½ cup of cream mixed
- Hot, buttered oven naan bread
- Chopped cilantro leaves
- Make the marinade: Combine all the marinade ingredients in a bowl and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours max.
- Make the sauce: Heat 1 tbsp of butter and vegetable oil in a large, deep pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft, approx. 3 mins. Add garlic and ginger and cook for a further minute. Add garam masala, chilli, and salt. Stir and cook for a further 30 seconds.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and add the marinated chicken. Cook until chicken is no longer pink, approx. 5 mins.
- Add the tomato sauce and simmer for 15 – 20 mins, stirring occasionally until the chicken is cooked through.
- Reduce the heat and add the half-and-half with a tbsp of butter. Warm gently until the butter has melted.
- Remove from the heat and serve with a garnish of cilantro, naan bread or hot, steamy white rice.
Or you could cut down the entire cooking time by 40 mins!!! How you ask, well we have our butter chicken recipe mix to make your delicious curry quickly and just as tasty. Find it here.
There are many diets on the market, some established, some fads, but few that can actually work for you in the long run. Whether you want to lose weight or just live a healthier lifestyle, adjusting your diet is the main way to do it, as long as you find a diet that still offers up all the nutrients [...]
Coconut oil has had a rather rocky history and is still in contention today in different circles, with people asking just how healthy or beneficial it is for you. whether you want to use coconut oil for cooking, baking, or your beauty regimen, you should do a little investigating to find out just what coconut oil contains and how [...]
Lunch is a meal often rushed; finding time to prepare a healthy and well-rounded lunch can be difficult and it’s easy to simply rely on the same set of dishes over and over again. An important meal of the day, lunch deserves its own makeover and everyone can create quick, delicious lunches packed full of health benefits with the [...]
A staple of Indian food, cardamom is an immensely versatile ingredient that can be used in all manner of classic cooking as well as unusual dishes. With a citrus quality to it, cardamom doesn’t just lend itself well to savoury Indian foods but a whole host of desserts, puddings and especially drinks. The strong spicy [...]
Dishing up a unique and delicious meal every night can seem like an arduous task and at some point, everyone runs out of new and exciting ideas to make their dinner special. You want something that ignites your taste buds and a meal that’s worth the time it takes to prepare. Buying Indian spices online is an easy and [...]
Discover Basil’s Best Kept Secret: Develop Your Dish with Basil SeedsBasil is a staple herb seen as a part of every herb garden or rack; however, it’s lesser known seed counter-part has just as much to offer your dish. An unusual ingredient found in many Indian food dishes, basil seeds can revolutionise even the simplest of dishes with its unique [...]
In the last couple of years, turmeric has boomed in popularity. From turmeric lattes to turmeric face masks, people are putting this vibrant spice in absolutely everything. Though it has been a favourite Indian ingredient for thousands of years, it is relatively new to the western world, but is now considered a very powerful superfood with many [...]
The term superfood is bandied around willy-nilly nowadays, promising incredible health benefits if they are consumed on a regular basis. From old school superstars such as kale and blueberries to new kids on the block like chaga mushrooms and algae fats, there seems to be an endless supply of super healthy produce that will transform [...]
Hands up who hates making a packed lunch each day? Whether they have a horrible association with your mum giving you cheese sandwiches or you’re sick of the same old boring salad at work each day, sometimes a homemade lunch can be a real drag. However, adding a few carefully chosen Indian herbs and spices to [...]